|Project Title||WEAmericas Social Media Strategy|
|Project Summary||Masters students from American University (AU), via VSFS, will work directly with WHA/EPSC to gain an understanding the Department and the mission of President Obama’s WEAmericas Initiative, and help develop social media strategies that will help the office achieve the goals of WEAmericas.|
|Agency||Department of State|
|Number of Interns||4|
The Social Media Practicum for American University (AU) Masters Degree students serves as one of the capstone options for Masters students from AU’s School of International Service (SIS). It is designed to provide an important bridge between the academic setting and the professional world. VSFS interns will work as a team and seek to build on the substantive and methodological knowledge they have acquired during the previous semesters of the SIS Masters Program through this hands-on experience. VSFS interns are expected to develop and enhance additional practical skills, such as oral and written communication and project management, in a professional context. The purpose of this VSFS project to give student interns both skills and experience in developing, implementing, and evaluating social media strategies. VSFS student interns will work as a group with WHA/EPSC to help the office develop a comprehensive social media strategy for the Presidential initiative, Women’s Entrepreneursh
Social media platforms can be used by government agencies to measure and achieve mission-critical goals. Two deficits prevent many agencies and offices from using social media to their greatest effect: first, they often lack the time and resources to plan proactively. Second, they often lack people with skills and experience in developing social media strategies that begin with mission and then extend into social media. The purpose of this VSFS project to give student interns both skills and experience in developing, implementing, and evaluating social media strategies. VSFS student interns will work as a group with WHA/EPSC to help the office develop a comprehensive social media strategy for the Presidential initiative, Women’s Entrepreneurship in the Americas (WEAmericas).
By the end of the Practicum, each student will be able to:
• Develop a social media strategy for a government program that:
o aligns with the mission/objectives of the program and the office;
o presents success metrics
o ties activities to the office/program metrics and goals
o staffs those activities accordingly
o adheres to the rules constraining government use of social media
o recommends specific tools and methods
• Execute against that strategy and reevaluate it for effectiveness.
• Provide regular feedback to WHA/EPSC and receive feedback on your performance.
• Work effectively as a team member by identifying key tasks, sharing responsibility for the project, and ensuring all deadlines are met (Teamwork and Project Management).
• Establish a positive working relationship with WHA/EPSC by understanding the office’s needs and deadlines, following up with requests, and managing expectations (Client Relations).
• Deliver organized, articulate presentations to WHA/EPSC with effective remarks and graphical aids (Oral Presentation skills).
• Prepare professional, cleanly written documents that identify the client’s problems and offer thoughtful analysis and recommendations (Written Presentation).