Project Code: VA-USA-57
|Project Title||Podcast - Coordinating Producer|
|Project Summary||VA’s “Borne the Battle” podcast is the VA’s official podcast. In 2016, DME’s launched a weekly podcast to highlight Veteran engagement, VA stories and information on benefits and services available to Veterans.|
|Agency||Veterans Affairs Department|
|Number of Interns||10|
Borne the Battle has five tenants:
• Bridge the gap between military Veterans and civilians
• Educate VA employees on their customer base
• Promote Veteran advocacy initiatives thru the voice of the Veteran
• Inspire and educate transitioning Veterans with positive stories
• Inform Veteran listeners about new information from VA as it is released
VA’s “Borne the Battle” podcast is seeking a passionate coordinating producer who can support podcast show concepts and enhance the current program line-up and continuity.
The coordinating producer will also be responsible for:
- direct the design and implementation of innovative graphics for “Borne the Battle” podcast.
- Coordinates the schedules guest for “Borne the Battle.”
- Tracks and report on downloads
- Direct the conduction of research on potential guests and obtain research materials necessary for production.
- Oversees the creation and execution of line copy and scripts of podcast episodes.
- Directly and through key subordinates, sets and ensures compliance with the highest levels of professionalism in all aspects of assigned episodes.
- Operates within the context of defined podcast show concepts, objectives and outcomes.
- Finds creative strategic messaging concepts and content to reach the largest possible number of viewers and to increase market penetration, ratings and viewership.
- Contributes to determining or determines the content and focus of podcast including the stories comprising each episode; ensures that important emerging stories and breaking news are identified and followed-up on.
- Assists the podcast producer by using an understanding of the veteran community and news judgment to determine the agenda, concepts and content of each episode.
- Assist the development of all of the creative concepts for each episode.
Work is reviewed by the responsible Podcast Producer relative to scheduling, and defined outcomes. Interns pursuing degree in journalism, communications, or a related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Introductory experience with online journalism, including writing, editing preferred. Experience with Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Calendar is preferred.
The Department of Veterans Affairs' Digital Media Engagement Team internship is one of the largest and most established internship programs available through the Virtual Student Federal Service. Last year, our internship had approximately 120 interns in various departments and leadership positions. If you want to join a team that is well structured and will offer meaningful work that will help you build skills that you can actually add to your resume, then you should definitely join our team.
For more information about interning with the Department of Veterans Affairs' Digital Media Engagement Team VSFS Internship program, please visit: https://dmeinterns.org/.