Project Code: STATE-MEX-182
|Project Title||In search of data expert to shed light on crime trends in Chihuahua, Mexico|
|Project Summary||Collect, analyze, and visualize crime data from throughout the state of Chihuahua, Mexico to shed light on violent crime trends. Your work will help keep Americans safe and help inform senior members of the Consulate staff.|
|Agency||Department of State|
|Number of Interns||1|
Ever looked at a travel warning and wondered how it came to be? Part of crafting advice is collecting and analyzing crime data. During this project, you will first collect open source data by coding press articles as well as analyzing publicly available data available from the government of Mexico and civil society.
Interns may then choose one or more of the following questions to answer or work with a mentor to develop their own:
1. What parts of Chihuahua city are the most dangerous?
2. What parts of Chihuahua have the highest concentration of homicides and why? Has it changed over time?
3. In Ciudad Juarez, what types of commercial establishments see the most homicides?
4. How does the increase in homicides in 2018/2019 compare to the rate and nature of the increase of homicides during 2010?
5. Are there any particular days of the week or times of day that are more dangerous than others?
6. Is there any correlation between drug seizures at the port of entry and violence?