Project Code: STATE-USA-222
|Project Title||Help Local U.S. Embassy Employees Improve Their English|
|Project Summary||Help encourage local U.S. Embassy employees to improve their English through a biweekly newsletter and practical exercises.|
|Country/Region of Focus||Congo|
|Agency||Department of State|
|Number of Interns||3|
U.S. Embassy employees in this Francophone country want to improve their English. Many struggle to find resources and opportunities to learn. In particular, the Local Guard Force often has limited English. We need interns who will work with Embassy English teachers, senior Guard Force leadership and the Regional Security Office to develop a practical English program tailored to the needs of the guards. This will improve security by improving communication. The lessons will focus on the language needed to communicate security and emergency issues. The practical exercises will focus on communicating during drills. This will serve as a prelude to real life problem solving while using English.
|Editing and proofreading|
|Social media management|
Ideal candidates will have:
• Enthusiasm for teaching English as a Second Language through innovative and practical exercises.
• Ability to use social media platforms.
• Ability to design effective newsletters to encourage independent study of English.
• Adaptability needed to help learners with limited resources.
• Familiarity with French might also prove advantageous.