Project Code: STATE-USA-ECA-176
|Project Title||Supporting Comics as a Public Diplomacy Tool|
|Project Summary||Conduct outreach and share impact stories of comics-based programs and tracking popular arts “in the news” on topics of education, health, human rights advocacy, etc. The objective is to increase awareness to comics artists, media houses conventions, while helping to build ECA’s network.|
|Country/Region of Focus||Global|
|Agency||Department of State|
|Number of Interns||1|
Assist ECA’s program officers in communicating results of innovative pilot programs implemented around the world while creating traditional and digital products (even as comics or graphic novels) to share broadly with the popular arts professional network.
Duties will include:
• Research and identify comics being used for educational purposes while providing a weekly summary report
• Design a digital publication summarizing the different types of comics-based public diplomacy programs and create opportunities for collaboration.
• Assist with scheduling, arrangement, and advertising of introductory meetings and/or phone calls.
• Coordinate with ECA program officers on engaging with key influencers to promote understanding of ECA’s comics-based programs.
• Collaborate with ECA program officers to develop a tracking mechanism for comics-based public diplomacy programs around the world.
• Streamline integration of contact information for new and potential partners to ECA program offices
As an intern housed in the Cultural and Educational Affairs (ECA) bureau’s Collaboratory, you’ll be exposed to new types of exchange programs that are developed as new original projects. Together with partner program offices and U.S missions overseas, the Collaboratory has worked in places like Kazakhstan, Paraguay, and Mexico, using comics and popular arts to help meet policy goals around human trafficking, workforce development, STEM education, English learning, public health and more. We’ve done this through the multi-modal, engaging, use of comics and superhero culture. Learn more about exciting events at Comic-Con here: https://blogs.state.gov/stories/2018/10/11/en/new-frontier-comics-diplomacy-taps-enormous-potential-arts-global-good