Project Code: STATE-USA-WHA-51
|Project Title||Mexico Current Events Meet-Ups|
|Project Summary||Mexico Current Events Meet-Ups: Work with 3 American Spaces in Mexico to facilitate weekly, virtual meet-ups with Mexicans that discuss breaking news in U.S., Mexican and international media sources.|
|Agency||Department of State|
|Number of Interns||1|
The American Space in Mexico City, the Benjamin Franklin Library, will organize virtual Current Events Meet-Ups between eInterns and Mexicans at American Spaces in Mexico City, Veracruz and Chiapas. The goal is to recognize media bias, encourage an objective analysis of news, and offer an opportunity to learn about current issues, both national and international, that are significant to the United States. In addition, Mexican participants will have an opportunity to practice and improve their English.
The e-Interns will:
- Design and develop plans for several two-month long Meet-Ups, including an introduction to news analysis.
- Keep up-to-date with news in the U.S., selecting headlines and articles to discuss each week.
- Facilitate three weekly (1.5 – 2 hours each session) virtual sessions with 10 Mexican university students and/or journalists at three different American Spaces.
Meet Up Details:
- Three sessions of two-month-long Meet-Ups over the eight-month period at the three American Spaces.
- Three weekly meetings, 1.5-2 hours each, with Mexico City, Veracruz, and Chiapas.
- Participants: 10 university students/journalists in each two-month round.
- Technology: Delivered via preferred virtual platform.
Specific knowledge: Interest in current events; background in journalism or mass communication preferred.
Specific skills and required tools: Ability to lead and moderate a group discussion; familiarity with virtual programs; computer with webcam; internet connection.