Project Code: STATE-AUT-24
|Project Title||Public Affairs Intern (Media Monitoring Guru / Social Media Content Creator)|
|Project Summary||Use your story telling, creativity and editing/graphics skills to show how the United States leads in the multilateral sphere and why U.S. support for the UN makes a difference. You will work on social media content creation, graphic design and editing, media monitoring, and much more.|
|Agency||Department of State|
|Number of Interns||2|
Use your story telling and social media skills to help the U.S. Mission to the International Organizations in Vienna (UNVIE) tell the story of who we help and why it matters. How does the U.S. participate in the UN? What is multilateral diplomacy and how do decisions get made with so many people at the table? How does the U.S. lead in the multilateral system? If you want to take part in the work that answers these questions, then join us!
The UNVIE Public Affairs team seeks a detail-oriented news/social media-savvy student to help us create Instagram/Facebook/Twitter posts, develop thematic social media campaigns, design infographics, and monitor social media activity on our platforms. If you've got experience working with the UN, even better!
Tasks will vary week to week, but may include:
• Drafting social media content and maintaining an active social media presence for our Embassy Facebook Instagram and Facebook accounts (2-3 posts/week on Instagram; 3-4 posts/week on Facebook).
• Developing a strategy by which to increase and expand digital engagement based on issue via social media.
• Developing infographics, editing photos, etc. that help UNVIE tell the story of U.S. priorities, leadership and impact.
• Compiling a weekly social media roundup showing our ambassador and top leadership and experts in the State Department what information we shared on social media that week.
• Drafting press releases, press statements and content for our website.
• Edit videos and work turning footage into bite-sized social media packages for ongoing social media campaigns.
• Help populate a growing social media-planning calendar by researching trending hashtags, current world events, and content from industry peers
• On a rotating basis: monitor U.S. and other media for news on the issues UNVIE covers and compile daily news summaries for UNVIE’s ambassador, deputy chief of mission and senior staff. Topics of coverage include nuclear issues, drugs and crime, corruption, and outer space.
As an UNVIE Public Affairs intern, you will gain knowledge of how the U.S. Department of State communicates with audiences around the world and how the UN system works. A successful intern will have a background and interest in graphic design, photography or editing – experience working with design programs (Adobe Creative Suite), video editing software (iMovie, Final Cut Pro) or web-applications (Canva) is a plus.
Preferred Skills (but still apply if you are passionate about any of these!):
• An interest in the UN, the State Department and communications
• Communications background/coursework
• Experience with a variety of social media platforms and applications, especially Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
• Great research and writing skills
• Media tracking and analytics
• Some infographic design and videography skills (preferred, not required)
|Editing and proofreading|
|Social media management|
UNVIE is seeking graduate students and exceptional undergraduate students with an interest in multilateral diplomacy and communications. The position requires effective writing and virtual communication (email, video chat, etc.) skills. You will use google docs, google drive, email, google hangouts, and other virtual tools to communicate and coordinate with staff and other interns.
You'll be working with a small but excellent team of U.S. Department of State Foreign Service Officers and Locally Employed Staff based in Vienna, Austria to help us communicate in compelling ways to a global audience. We are the public affairs team for the UNVIE and our work is a mix of program management, video production, social media and traditional media. Every day is different and we work with a diverse mix of people, including UN member states, universities, cultural institutions, NGOs and the general public in the countries of UN member states.
The U. S. Mission to International Organizations in Vienna (UNVIE) works with seven major organizations of the United Nations system based in Vienna: the International Atomic Energy Agency; the UN Office on Drugs and Crime; the Preparatory Commission of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization; the UN Office of Outer Space Affairs; the UN Commission on International Trade Law; the International Narcotics Control Board; and the UN Industrial Development Organization, of which the U.S. is not a member. UNVIE also covers two Vienna-based export control regimes – the Nuclear Suppliers Group and the Wassenaar Arrangement – the Hague Code of Conduct Against Ballistic Missile Proliferation, and the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis in Laxenburg, Austria. UNVIE’s mission is to conduct effective multilateral diplomacy with International Organizations in Vienna to advance U.S. national interests.
For more information, check us out on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@USUNVIE) or our website.
Please be sure to include information on past social media, video and design experience and your proficiency with editing and graphic design software and platforms.