Project Code: STATE-KEN-1
|Project Title||Cultural Connections with Kenyans #USAMarafiki|
|Project Summary||Design, create, and implement cultural programming and content for audiences across Kenya.|
|Agency||Department of State|
|Number of Interns||4|
Be at the front lines of diplomacy and share U.S. life, history, and culture with Kenyans. The U.S. Embassy in Nairobi Public Affairs Section is looking for a tech and social media savvy virtual intern to create cultural diplomacy content for Kenyan audiences.
The intern will:
- develop presentation toolkits on various aspects of U.S. culture;
- host discussions about U.S. culture and education via live streaming or webinar with Kenyan audiences at American Spaces;
- create short videos for social media from footage and photos submitted by Kenyans or Americans who have participated in U.S. State Department exchange programs;
- design social media content about U.S. culture for Kenyan audiences;
- develop online and print content about United States priorities in Kenya, including creating infographics, design and layout;
- compile a weekly social media summary product to show the Ambassador and bureau in DC the Embassy’s social media content.
The intern will work directly with the Embassy Public Affairs section, EducationUSA, and American Spaces coordinators to develop relevant content that will be used for speakers programs and on social media.
|Editing and proofreading|
|Social media management|
The U.S. Embassy Nairobi is seeking graduate and undergraduate students with an interest in cultural diplomacy and communications. The ideal intern will have some video editing and graphic design skills. They should be passionate about U.S. culture and have a knack for storytelling and engaging audiences online. Kiswahili is not required, but a basic knowledge of the language would be useful.
As a member of the U.S. Embassy team, you will be a vital part of cultural exchange between the United States and Kenya and you will be able to connect (virtually) with Kenyans from across the country. You will have the opportunity to learn how a large embassy functions and work with the network of five American Spaces across Kenya: American Corner Mombasa, American Corner Lamu, American Corner Nakuru, American Corner Nairobi at Moi University, and the American Center at the U.S. Embassy.