Project Code: STATE-USA-INR-1
|Project Title||Elite Politics and Media Signaling in China|
|Project Summary||The Bureau of Intelligence and Research seeks a student intern to assist with tracking domestic Chinese propaganda regarding top Chinese officials and policy initiatives. The student should have Chinese language ability sufficient to read official Chinese newspapers and interest in data analysis.|
|Agency||Department of State|
|Number of Interns||1|
Chinese official media outlets are important conduits for regime messaging, both internally and externally. Department of State's Bureau of Intelligence and Research seeks a student intern to assist with tracking domestic Chinese propaganda regarding top Chinese officials and their policy initiatives. The student will collect data and perform comparative analysis on changes over time.
Desired Skills and Interests Chinese politics, Data Analysis, Writing and analysis
Language requirements Mandarin Chinese: Working level reading proficiency required
● Language requirements – Fluent in reading and typing Mandarin Chinese and fluent in reading, writing, and speaking English
● This project will help virtual student foreign service interns develop writing and communications skills, analysis, and research skills, as well as gain an understanding of the nuances of reading Chinese biographical data, website, and media.
Support ongoing analysis by searching and machine translating biographical and career path data (“jianli”—resumes) for leaders just below the senior Central level (e.g. ministerial or provincial-level leaders).
● Conduct research on emerging slogans, programs, and leadership trends;
● Compare and contrast coverage from various media outlets;
● Compile weekly briefers (in written and/or graphic form) of major trends;
● Produce briefers, one page documents, or other research papers and analysis on topics related to the Bureau’s topics of interest relevant to elite politics;
● Other duties as required.