Project Code: NOAA-USA-3
|Project Title||Use Storytelling to Amplify More Voices and Engage More Communities in Marine Conservation|
|Project Summary||Develop stories for social media, newsletters, and other outlets to help the Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary team welcome a wider audience to join us in marine conservation, and amplify and celebrate the diverse voices needed to achieve our mission.|
|Agency||National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration|
|Number of Interns||2|
Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary is a wild ocean place teeming with life off the coast of Massachusetts. This exceptional area was designated as a national marine sanctuary in 1992 to protect the resources for which it is famous: marine mammals, biodiversity, and maritime and cultural heritage. We are part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Office of National Marine Sanctuaries, which serves as the trustee for a network of underwater parks encompassing more than 600,000 square miles of marine and Great Lakes waters. The system works with diverse partners and stakeholders to promote responsible, sustainable ocean uses that ensure the health of our most valued ocean places.
For marine conservation to be successful, all communities need to be actively engaged in the conversations and solutions. We are seeking creative and passionate team members with storytelling skills, energy, and ideas to help us increase Stellwagen Bank Sanctuary’s visibility and engage more people in achieving our mission.
You’ll collaborate with our Program Coordinators to:
• Research and draft multimedia content (posts, videos, infographics, for Facebook and Twitter, and possibly other social media platforms)
• Survey social media activity to identify emerging trends and recommend opportunities for future social media engagement relevant to the sanctuary’s diverse audiences
• Create visually appealing templates and content for emails, newsletters, and other outreach tools.
• Research and identify communities to include in our outreach and engage as partners in our mission.
• Translate content into Spanish (a nice addition if at least one of our interns has this skill but not a requirement)
Your work with Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary will significantly contribute to our ongoing outreach and conservation efforts. In return, we will design this opportunity to help you achieve your personal and professional goals, have fun, and make a difference.
|Editing and proofreading|
|Social media management|
For more information about NOAA Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary, please visit:
About NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries: https://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/about/