Project Code: NOAA-USA-10
|Project Title||Stellwagen Sanctuary Ambassadors: Develop A Toolkit to Empower Our Volunteer Corps|
|Project Summary||Help create a toolkit for the Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary Volunteer Corps to prepare them to become Sanctuary Ambassadors. Develop modules to train the volunteers and activity guides that they can use to offer public programming, to increase sanctuary visibility and ocean stewardship.|
|Agency||National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration|
|Number of Interns||2|
Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary is a wild ocean place teeming with life off the coast of Massachusetts. This exceptional area was designated as a national marine sanctuary in 1992 to protect the resources for which it is famous: marine mammals, biodiversity, and maritime and cultural heritage. We are part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Office of National Marine Sanctuaries, which serves as the trustee for a network of underwater parks encompassing more than 600,000 square miles of marine and Great Lakes waters. The system works with diverse partners and stakeholders to promote responsible, sustainable ocean uses that ensure the health of our most valued ocean places.
For marine conservation to be successful, all communities need to be actively engaged in the conversations and solutions. One of the ways we welcome and involve the public to work with us is through our active volunteer program. In order for volunteers to feel prepared and engaged, we need to provide them with the tools to succeed. That’s where you come in! We are seeking creative and passionate team members to work with our Volunteer and Education/Outreach Coordinators to:
• Create modules for virtual and in-person volunteer orientation and training sessions. These will include text and images, and also use tools such as slide presentations, video clips, quizzes and other creative, fun methods for training teens and adults.
• Create educational content and activity guides for volunteers to use to offer public programming to educate and engage a wider audience in marine conservation.
• Research training and education tools and techniques to identify emerging trends that we can incorporate into our volunteer toolkit.
• Research and identify more groups to engage, to ensure we are inclusive of all and our volunteer corps and partners truly represent our sanctuary communities.
Your work with Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary will significantly contribute to our ongoing education, outreach and conservation efforts. In return, we will design this opportunity to help you achieve your personal and professional goals, have fun, and make a difference.
|Editing and proofreading|
• For more information about NOAA Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary, please visit:
• Web: stellwagen.noaa.gov
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SBNMS/
• Twitter: @NOAASBNMS
• YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6hMtEQiSbSgPBMLPsfbP6A
• About NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries: https://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/about/