Project Code: USAID-USA-6
|Project Title||Middle East Water and Environment|
|Project Summary||Support Middle East Countries in their Journey to Self Reliance (J2SR) by contributing to the work of the Middle East Bureau’s Office of Technical Support – Water and Environment Team.|
|Agency||Agency for International Development|
|Number of Interns||3|
USAID’s Middle East Bureau (MEB) operates bilateral missions in Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco and West Bank/Gaza, and an office in Tunisia. Additionally, it operates regional programs and manages development programs through partners in countries without missions, including Syria, Libya and Yemen. The Office of Technical Support (TS) - Water and Environment Team is the ME Bureau’s in-house source for intellectual, technical and strategic leadership and programmatic expertise in the areas of water, environment, sustainable agriculture and food security, biodiversity, climate change, and environmental compliance issues.
Beyond driving natural disasters, water scarcity, climate change and environmental degradation have additional national security implications as a threat multiplier of existing homeland security hazards, such as local and regional conflicts and protracted crises. This is particularly true in the Middle East. Promoting science-based environmental stewardship and management of ecosystems is essential for peace, building resilient healthy communities, preserving natural resources, supporting sustainable economic growth, and fostering self-reliance.
In the first weeks of the internship, you will work with your mentor to design a specific project and/ or defining areas of support for ongoing work based on your interests, skills, and office priorities. We will empower you to leverage your existing skills and acquire new ones while learning about, and impacting, USAID’s development work in the Middle East and North Africa.
Examples of possible projects and work include:
* Analyzing and addressing impacts of COVID-19 and contributing to the response effort led by USAID’s COVID-19 Taskforce.
* Researching and analyzing country priorities and needs, development projects, and the scientific literature to inform USAID’s work and priorities in the Middle East and North Africa region. Focus areas may include: biodiversity and reconciliation ecology; sustainable agriculture and food security; zoonotic diseases and One Health solutions; water conservation challenges; climate change adaptation and climate risk management; environmental compliance; environmental justice; water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH); integrated water resources management; and the water-energy nexus.
* Reviewing, researching, and summarising information to support and inform strategic policy and provide technical advice to senior leadership.
|Editing and proofreading|
You will be part of the ME/TS office team, mainly supporting the Water and Environment team. There may also be options for interdisciplinary work in collaboration and support of the other teams in the office, including in the areas of:
* Democracy, governance; peace and security (DGPS);
* economic Growth;
* and Geographic Information Systems (GIS).